St Christopher’s History
Designed by Mr J C King and built in 1906, St Christopher’s is a small simple timber framed building. The chancel was extended in 1930 by one bay width. The hand-made tiled roof is supported by 5 queen post roof trusses, the last and newest one constructed of laminated timber. There is a small bell turret at the west end with tile-hung sides and roof housing a single bell repaired and rehung in October 2011.
Externally the church is clapboarded on a brick plinth. It has an interesting east window, being the artist’s mock-up for a translucent coloured glass mosaic panel, but unfortunately it proved too problematical and expensive to complete but has lasted since 1965.
Two extensions on the north side contain the organ chamber and vestry and a kitchen and lavatories both with external doors. Each is timber framed with a tiled roof although the lavatory extension has a felt flat. The church is set back from the road and is surrounded by hedges and mature trees, giving a a quiet and pleasant environment.